Sometimes a mistake can bring about good things! While making a bag for my sewing supplies, I cut one of the quilted panels wrong. I was so mad at myself because it was one of my favourite prints. The accident happened though and there was no fixing it. After a dig through my stash I found more fabrics I could happily use for my bag. And the panel I cut wrong has now become two cute zip pouches. 

The sides were already quilted panels so I couldn't do the usual 'turn through the lining' way of making. For the larger one I added the zip, then top stitched the zip tape (from the lining side) to hide the unfinished seam. On the smaller one I did a double row of stitching to secure the zip and just lazily trimmed the seam with pinking shears. 

It was nice to use some fun zips too! The smaller pouch measures 6" x 6 ¾" and the larger one is 10 ½" x 6 ¾".

Fabric -

This is my first finish of 2017 and I hope this year will have many! I will be back with my word for the year tomorrow.

Happy New Year! Wishing you all a creative and wonderful 2017!

p.s. free printable calendar seen in the top picture is from Simple As That